LINE

    Text:AAAPrint
    Society

    Malaysia offers e-visas to attract Chinese tourists

    1
    2016-03-04 09:12Global Times Editor: Li Yan

    Malaysia announced on Tuesday it would introduce e-visas for travelers from China in an effort to boost tourism between the two countries.

    Malaysia also waived the visa requirements for Chinese tourists who stay less than 15 days in the country from March 1 to December 31, 2016, Ministry of Tourism and Culture in Malaysia said at a press conference in Beijing.

    The e-visa system will be carried out in three stages, beginning with an introduction for visitors from the Chinese mainland, and then to Chinese citizens who live outside the mainland. Finally, it will be extended to countries including India, Myanmar, Nepal and Sri Lanka.

    Malaysia will allow visitors e-visa stays of up to 30 days, though some visitors will be approved for as many as 90 days, the traveling department said.

    In an exclusive interview with the Dato' Seri Mohamed Nazri Abdul Aziz, Minister of Tourism and Culture in Malaysia, he told the Global Times that the policy was designed to attract Chinese tourists amid competition from neighboring countries such as Japan and South Korea.

    The Southern Daily reported on Wednesday that South Korea is expected to double the period of visa-free entry for Chinese transfer passengers to 10 years.

    Last year, 1.6 million people traveled from China to Malaysia, he said.

    The ministry expects that number to hit at least 2 million this year, and possibly reach as high as 4 million.

    Although the global economy has slowed, the tourism industry has continued to grow.

    The Malaysian government believes that the tourism industry will stimulate trade and investment, as well as create job opportunities in the country.

    Tourism contributed approximately $38.1 billion to Malaysia's GDP in 2014, accounting for 14.9 percent of the total.

    Foreign tourists spent about $17 billion in the country over the course of the year, according to a note the ministry sent to the Global Times on Tuesday.

      

    Related news

    MorePhoto

    Most popular in 24h

    MoreTop news

    MoreVideo

    News
    Politics
    Business
    Society
    Culture
    Military
    Sci-tech
    Entertainment
    Sports
    Odd
    Features
    Biz
    Economy
    Travel
    Travel News
    Travel Types
    Events
    Food
    Hotel
    Bar & Club
    Architecture
    Gallery
    Photo
    CNS Photo
    Video
    Video
    Learning Chinese
    Learn About China
    Social Chinese
    Business Chinese
    Buzz Words
    Bilingual
    Resources
    ECNS Wire
    Special Coverage
    Infographics
    Voices
    LINE
    Back to top Links | About Us | Jobs | Contact Us | Privacy Policy
    Copyright ©1999-2018 Chinanews.com. All rights reserved.
    Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.
    主站蜘蛛池模板: 巧家县| 来凤县| 凤冈县| 花莲县| 讷河市| 泸州市| 邵东县| 泽普县| 云阳县| 临洮县| 霍林郭勒市| 本溪| 中牟县| 四会市| 平昌县| 洛扎县| 垫江县| 桂阳县| 普兰店市| 广东省| 象山县| 永和县| 吐鲁番市| 思茅市| 阳朔县| 壶关县| 囊谦县| 濮阳县| 西安市| 永修县| 安多县| 阿巴嘎旗| 德格县| 五峰| 万荣县| 方城县| 桐柏县| 桂东县| 梧州市| 平昌县| 河源市|